Tuesday, January 17, 2023

White-winged Scoters at Kiwanis Park

 On January 16th, a pair of White-winged Scoters were found at Kiwanis Park in Tempe.  The male was a full adult drake.  As I hasn't seen a drake White-winged Scoter before this, I decided to chase the male and female pair when I got off of work on January 17th.  Several hundred people went and looked at these birds in the several days they ended up staying.  It was a fun event for many, as most Scoters stay out pretty far on lakes when they do show up.  Most of the time, a scope is needed for Scoter viewing.  But this pair was close to the shore for awesome views as the lake at Kiwanis isn't big.  When I went to see them, I birded with Dale Clark and it was fun hanging out with Dale!  Here are a selection of photos I got of the birds.










No comments:

Post a Comment