Saturday, January 22, 2022

Maricopa County: A Pine Warbler

 The blog posts for the series, "Florida", will take longer to write.  It will take me longer to write and publish them, as my computer is messed up, slow, outdated, and old (but at least it still works!).  More Florida posts are coming, as well as a few other posts.  In the meantime, I've had some noteworthy sightings in Maricopa County.  The first was a Pine Warbler.

On January 6th, Sochetra Ly found a Pine Warbler at Desert Breeze Park in Chandler.  The park has it's share of pine trees, hence where Sochetra found the bird followed by many birders chasing the bird.  I was traveling home when I found out about the bird, and when I got back home, I was able to chase it the next day on January 7th.  I got to the park after 8 A.M. and a group of birders had seen the Pine Warbler before I got there.  After some waiting, the warbler appeared again and gave everyone good views.  It foraged in the pine trees within the park the entire time I observed it.  The call note it gives makes it easier to locate.  This was a fun highlight for me and it was the first time I've gotten to photograph Pine Warbler in Maricopa County.  The other one I did see was back in 2017 at the Lower Salt River within the Pebble Beach Recreation Area, a bird Caleb Strand and I chased.  That Pine Warbler, which was found by Brian Ison, wasn't in pines but was in cottonwood and willow riparian.  It was elusive and hard to find.  A 20 second look without photos was what I got, and I'm glad Sochetra found this one.  This one was awesome and cooperative!  And as far as I know, it's still at Desert Breeze as I write.






No comments:

Post a Comment