Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Maricopa's first Green Kingfisher!!!

March 3rd, 2010: Hassayampa GREEN KINGFISHER contintues (video included)
Hi everyone,

Today I visited the Hassayampa River Preserve from 8 AM to 1:30 PM and
wow, what an awesome time it was.  The main highlight was the continuing
female GREEN KINGFISHER, which provided me and everyone else there looking
for it at the time with great views.  It took me until 9. 45 AM to locate
the bird (another birder saw it around open time), when I first heard the
bird calling along the river a little downstream west of where it's usual
spot is.  When I went in the direction, she flew across the river and I
got a quick and brief look.  I couldn't find her again until a couple
named Steve and Joan were able to relocate it at about 11.30.  For the
next hour, the bird flew around to many different perches along the river
(mainly in the same general area as previous posts) and was very easy to
photograph and get great views at.  The bird called quite often and
perched at low and medium heigths, and often stayed in good view while
perched.  Truely an incredible bird and I'm grateful I was able to see
it! 

I was also able to get some film of the Green Kingfisher.  Some parts are
a little shaky and blurry, I apologize for that! But overall, the video is
good.  The bird is vocalizing on one of the clips, and by listening
closely, it can be heard.

GREEN KINGFISHER VIDEO LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzlpzIMpCr4

Green Kingfisher











Other than the Kingfisher, there were several other good birds which were 
SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, VERMILION FLYCATCHERS, BRIDLED TITMOUSE, 2 BROWN 
CREEPERS, many AMERICAN ROBINS (I've never seen such a high concentration 
of them at a location), CEDAR WAXWINGS, BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLER, and 
SPOTTED TOWHEE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment