Thursday, February 25, 2010

Seven Springs and Needle Rock

February 25th, 2010: Seven Springs Area, Needle Rock Recreation Site

Hey everyone,

Today I birded at the Seven Springs Recreation Area and on my way home I
stopped at the Needle Rock Recreation Site by Rio Verde.

It was a beautiful morning at Seven Springs where I enjoyed many of the
more high elevation species.  My trip there started good as a BOBCAT
crossed the road.  At Seven Springs I recorded 38 different species, with
the most unusual sighting being a young COMMON GOLDENEYE in Seven Springs
Wash who was swimming in the creek!  I was shocked at this, I didn't
expect it at all.  The Goldeneye dove in the deeper pools that were formed
in the creek.  When I first saw it, it flew away from me and I didn't get
the best look at it, so I walked slowly down the wash and was able to
relocate it.  This bird let me get extremely close to itself, and almost
seemed curious of me.  Walking along the main road through the recreation
site produced many AMERICAN ROBINS and CEDAR WAXWINGS.  A SAGE THRASHER,
MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRD, SPOTTED TOWHEE, and a TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRE where also a
great sight.  BUSHTITS, BRIDLED TITMOUSE, and JUNIPER TITMOUSE where all
present as well, at one time in a mixed flock.    Other notables included
RED-NAPED SAPSUCKERS (2), WESTERN SCRUB-JAY, VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW (my
first of the year), WHITE-BREASTED NUTHATCH, and HOUSE WREN.

Common Goldeneye





I then stopped at Needle Rock Recreation Site on the way back.  Much of
this area is closed off due to sensitive wildlife area at this time of
year, including the nearby Box Bar Recreation Site, which I wanted to see
the most.  I didn't see much at Needle Rock in a couple hours, but I
really enjoyed exploring the area.  A COOPER'S HAWK and HARRIS'S HAWK sat
on the same tree, which was my highlight here.  A COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRD was
also present.





Good birding,
Tommy DeBardeleben (Glendale, Arizona)

No comments:

Post a Comment