Wednesday, January 17, 2018

January 17th: Lots of cool stuff

Today I went to a lot of spots southwest and west of Phoenix.  I can't remember the last time I had a solid local day in Maricopa County where I visited a lot of spots all day long.  Gila County can be thanked for that.

I started the day of at Baseline and Meridian Wildlife Area, where I was in pursuit of a Black-throated Green Warbler that Caleb Strand discovered last year.  I missed this bird a few days ago on an afternoon jaunt, but on this morning jaunt today, the time of day was really all the difference needed.  Just minutes into my search, the Black-throated Green Warbler popped up and gave me some awesome looks.  It now joins the Louisiana Waterthrush and Prairie Warbler in the awesome warbler department for 2018.





The Thrasher Spot was up next.  I had awesome looks at a Crissal Thrasher on the ground in front of me, as well other highlights in Le Conte's and Bendire's Thrashers, and Sagebrush and Bell's Sparrows.







One of the many spots I visited was the spot where Dara found the Tennessee Warbler and Golden-crowned Kinglet.  There was no activity, probably because this guy was sitting there.



Gillespie Dam had a lot of American White Pelicans.




Burrowing Owls highlighted the Old US 80.


I managed to find a few Bell's Sparrows at Robbin's Butte.


Two cool woodpeckers:  Lewis's and Acorn, highlighted Verrado.  Verrado is going to keep getting better and better too.





1 comment:

  1. Bag up the birds Tommy! Just like that fish says in your video, "I need help." The kind of help I need is a Bendire's Thrasher... Chasing a LeConte's... ugh, that one wore me out, but I'm glad I got that bird in the end.

    ReplyDelete